How will digital media and/or digital tools be important to teaching my target audience one of the essential lessons I’ll be focusing on in my project?
What, specifically, about the digital environment will influence what you do and why?
The use of digital media and digital tools will allow me to convey information about the papermaking process that would otherwise be difficult or impossible.
Possible digital media/tools:
- Video of papermaking process including the following steps:
- Interviews with papermakers and those using handmade paper in their work
- Zoom It plugin available through Omeka to allow audience to see minute details paper’s construction
- The Daily theme in Omeka since it is an image-oriented theme
- Plug-ins based on Library of Congress and The Getty metadata will help create consistent terminology.
- Plugins Facet by Metadata and Search by Metadata will allow users to find the desired information more quickly and to make connections between items.
- The Contributor plugin will allow for submissions from the community (those involved in papermaking or who use handmade paper, artists including book artists and printmakers, students and teachers interested in the topic).
I will list “traditional” research materials like books and articles. However, the use of digital tools and media will complement these scholarly materials as well as any content knowledge about the history of papermaking included in the Omeka site. The Omeka platform will allow me to highlight text, images, video, and audio.